Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday's Quote: Some Thoughts on God's Love for Us


A lot of people seem to think (and I fall into this trap, as well) that love means taking care of someone and making their lives easier.  When we apply this reasoning to God's love for us, we come to the conclusion that, if God really loves us, He will give us a nice, easy, suffering-free life.  But Jesus never promised us a life free from suffering, and John Piper expounds on that idea in his book A Godward Heart:  Treasuring the God Who Loves You:
God's love for us is not mainly His making much of us, but His giving us the ability to enjoy making much of him forever.  In other words, God's love for us keeps God at the center.  God's love for us exalts His value and our satisfaction in it. If God's love made us central and focused mainly on our value, it would distract us from what is most precious, namely, Himself.... 
What this shows is how far above the glory of God most people value pain-free lives.  For most people, love is whatever puts human value and human well-being at the center.  So Jesus' behavior is scarcely intelligible to them.
I have to admit that I would like to pray for an easy, pain-free life, but then I realize that, if I get what I desire, I would miss out on so much more.  Those who have gone through suffering have a knowledge of God, of His comfort, and the sweetness of His presence that I also desire.  I don't want to get to Heaven knowing Jesus only as a good acquaintance; I want to get there having Him as an intimate friend.

What do you think?

No comments: