Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday's Quote: Grace AND Truth

My mother made these skirts and dress; aren't they wonderful?!

I've been reading Seeing the Unseen:  A Daily Dose of Eternal Perspective by Randy Alcorn, and I came across this quote:
The greatest kindness we can offer each other is the truth.  Our job is not just to help each other feel good but to help each other be good.  We often seem to think that our only options are to:  1) speak the truth hurtfully; or 2) remain silent in the name of grace.  Both are lies.  Jesus came full of grace AND truth (John 1:14).  We should not choose between them, but do both.
So often I keep my mouth shut when I see one of my friends doing something they shouldn't because I don't want to hurt their feelings.  But God has called us to alert our brothers and sisters in Christ to their sin in order to help them grow closer to Him and to become more like Jesus.  This needs to be done in love, or else it's done wrongly.

I am going to work at this principle:  speaking the truth in love.  And I hope that my friends will do the same for me, pointing out my sin so that I can forsake it and grow.

What do you think?

No comments: