Monday, January 13, 2014

Personality Types and What They Mean


Addendum:  My mother called this morning to let me know that I'm nurturing, maybe even a little too nurturing.  It was a surprise to me!  But I also know where my heart is, and sometimes, it's not pretty.

Last week, one of my facebook friends had as her status her personality test results.  Since she has the same "letters" (INTJ) that I do, I was intrigued, especially since I had never really read much about my personality-type.

As I read, I felt like someone had shone a search light into my soul and written about what they had found.  Some things that I didn't understand about myself were explained, like how I want my children to "shake it off" instead of tenderly soothing them when they get hurt.  Some of my weaknesses were brought into the light to be examined, like appearing arrogant when I meet people for the first time.

And I thought, "Wow!  Now I have an excuse for such and such.  It's just the way that God made me."  But He pricked my conscience, reminding me that knowing where my sin comes from does not excuse it.

And while I have a better understanding of myself, does it really matter?  Personality tests are not the determining factors of why we do what we do.  Even though they are interesting, we shouldn't put too much faith in them.

God made us who we are, and He has a plan for us.  He uses our strengths and our weaknesses to bring about His purpose.  That is what is important.  I can learn to be more nurturing and more humble, both of which, I know, are part of His plans for me.

Have you taken one of these personality tests before?  What are your "letters"?  Did you find your results to be as accurate as I found mine?

(If you haven't done this before, and you're curious about it, you can take the test here.)

No comments: