Friday, January 31, 2014

January Review of Goals


I feel like I've done fairly well overall this month with my goals.  I haven't met everything, but usually I had a good reason if I didn't.  I like having goals, even if I don't achieve every single one every single month, because they give me something to work for, something to aim at.

Personal Goals:
  • Read through my book list.  I will read many other books, as well, I'm sure.  I only read one book from my list but several other good ones.  Here is everything I did read this month.
  • Continue walking on the treadmill three times a week for twenty minutes.  Other than the first week, I've met this goal.
  • Look for a job...assuming I passed the law test.  I passed the test, so I am a licensed pharmacist in the state of Texas.  I've talked to a couple of people about jobs and filled out an application.
  • Go through every room in the house, one a month, to clean out unwanted and unneeded items.  I'm sick of the clutter!  I started with a relatively easy room, the laundry room.  We store a lot of the kids' stuff in there, things that they use at the kitchen table like coloring stuff, puzzles, and things for Rachel and Mary while Daniel, Sarah Beth, and I do school.  It needed some organizing and tossing, and it's much easier to keep neat now!  Go figure!  Then I started on the older girls' closet which is actually my goal for February.
  • Write one letter or note a month.  Done.
Goals as a Mother:
  • Do something (like a playdate) with someone (and her children) once a month, whether it's having someone over for lunch, going to someone else's house, or heading out for a field trip together.  We were supposed to meet another family for an outing at the zoo, but the weather was too bad.
  • Continue having one fun day in school a month.  We didn't do this.  I had great plans for Puzzle Day (the 29th) ...but it just didn't happen.  
  • Continue taking my children on one field trip a month.  There is so much to do in the Houston area!  We went again to the planetarium.
  • Do a service project with my children every month.  I didn't get to this one, either.
  • Teach my children to do more around the house, like mopping and folding clothes.  What a great way to build their self-esteem.  I had Sarah Beth and Daniel mop once, but they hated it and had a hard time with it.  Do you have any experience with a seven year old and almost six year old mopping?  Are they capable?  Am I demanding too much?  Or did I give up too easily?
Goals as a Wife:
  • Continue monthly date nights for John and me.  Failed this one, too.
  • Do something weekly to make John feel special.  (I got this goal from Tracey at Girls to Grow.)  But I think I did okay with this.  I made muffins specially for him a couple of times, and I rented a movie for him.  
Goals as a Family:
  • Continue having another family over for supper once a month.  We were just too busy this month.
  • Start having Game Night once a month.  Didn't start this.
  • Continue our family devotional time.  Fail.
How are you doing with your goals for the year?

No comments: