Wednesday, January 15, 2014

An Overdo Chicken Update


Since I haven't told you anything about my chickens since the chicks came in the mail, I thought it was time for an update.  These three are my original hens, and they are doing great!  I'm getting about two eggs a day because the decreased daylight means decreased egg production.  The ugly one on the right is Meg, and she lays the blue eggs.


It's not a very good picture (sorry!), but here are my new "chicks."  Obviously, they're not chicks anymore.  Rather, they are pullets which are kind of like teenagers.  There are two Light Brown Leghorns, two White Plymoth Rocks, and one Barred Plymoth Rock.  They're almost four months old which means they will probably start laying in about two more months.  I can't wait!!


 Here is Mr. Tumnus.  We think he's a rooster; I know what you're thinking:  we thought Bob Tomato was a rooster, too, but he, I mean she, turned out to be a hen.  But Mr. Tumnus is much bigger than Lucy, my other White Rock, and his comb and waddle are much more pronounced, and he's starting to get spurs.  We haven't heard him crow yet, but I think it's just a matter of time.


I included this picture just to show you the difference in the two White Rocks.  Mr. Tumnus is on the left, and Lucy is on the right.We don't let them free range anymore after the massacre unfortunate loss of three of my chickens this summer, but we do let them out for an hour or so before sunset.  They enjoy getting out, and I can tell a difference in their eggs from when they were cooped up all the time.


This is Brownie, and I think he may be a rooster, too, but it may be a Bob Tomato situation.  He doesn't look too much different from Susan except that his comb and waddle are more developed.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

So, have you ever thought about getting chickens?

Can you tell which book we were reading when the pullets were finally named?

No comments: