Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Our Thanksgiving Trip

Laura's and my children -- all twelve of them!

We travelled to Georgia to spend Thanksgiving with my family.  We made a couple of stops on the way to my parents' house:  first, we dropped in for a little while at my mother-in-law's house to see her, and then we travelled to visit Laura where we spent the night.  We stayed one night with Laura's family and had a wonderful visit.  Laura and I have been friends for a long time, since before either of us were married.

Sarah Beth even received some instruction on how to ride, instead of just being led around.

Then we travelled to see another friend, Ms. Sharon, who was one of my riding instructors.  I've known Sharon for twenty years!  We've kept in touch via snail mail, so it was especially nice to see her in person.  John and I last saw Sharon when I was pregnant with Daniel, six years ago.  Sharon graciously offered to let my children ride one of her ponies, and they loved it.

It was cold that day, but it didn't dampen my children's enthusiasm.

Then we finished our traveling to my parents' house where supper was ready and my sister and her children were waiting.  We saw a lot of my family while we were there, and it was so nice.  My brothers and sister (and their families) came by often to spend time with us.

You can't tell from Rachel's face, but she had a good time, too.

I saw several other friends, too.  As a matter of fact, Tuesday was so full of visiting with different friends, that I had to leave one to meet another.  I've never been that popular before!  One of the friends I saw, I've known since elementary school!  Thirty years!  (And I know that I'm dating myself.)

I didn't worry about Mary at all; I knew she would love riding Tonto.

Then we had a big Thanksgiving feast which was delicious!  And on Friday, we visited with new friends, ones that my parents met at church and thought we would enjoy getting to know.  We did!

John found Mary curled up asleep one morning.  It was a busy, exciting week!

Saturday was my father's seventieth birthday, so the whole family gathered for that celebration.  What did my dad want?  He wanted us all to meet him at the gym so we could watch him climb the rope.  Yep!  My seventy year old father can climb a sixteen foot rope.  We figure that he's going to outlive the rest of us since he's in such good shape...better than any of the rest of us.

All of my parents' grandchildren.

On Sunday, we went to my parents' church which was our church first.  As you know, we've had a hard time finding a church home in Texas, so it was wonderful to worship there.  It felt like home!  The icing on the cake was attending the Sunday school my father teaches.  That was fun!  And informative.  

We left Georgia on Monday and arrived home on Tuesday after visiting one of John's friends in Mobile, Al., Monday night.  

Whew!  It was a long trip; we were gone twelve days.  But it was such a good trip!  And now it's back to normal, well, it will be tomorrow anyway.  On the agenda today is grocery shopping, cleaning out the chicken coop, laundry, unpacking, among other things.  And I have to figure out what we're having for supper!  I haven't had that concern for almost two weeks!  And when I finally get some "free" time, I've got blog-reading to catch up on. 

That's what we did for Thanksgiving.  What did you do?

No comments: