Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday's Quote: Sound Waves and Their Obedience to God


I've been reading An Elegant Solution by Paul Robertson, and I have enjoyed it immensely.  In it, Leonhard, who is studying mathematics during the 1700's, enjoys seeing how God uses math to make Himself manifest.  In this quote, Leonhard discusses some of his studies with his grandmother, specifically he has been reading that sound behaves as a wave, a revolutionary idea at the time.
"I don't know if the wave is the equation or the equation is the wave.  But this is what I've written, that the equation is the law that the wave must obey."

"Sound must obey laws?  Like men must?  And who gives laws to the air?"

"I think God does."

"And do they follow His laws?"

"Yes," I said, and firmly.  "In every circumstance they do.  They aren't unrighteous." 
Sound waves obey the laws made by God, but men do not.   Isn't that an interesting thought?  Isn't that a neat way to phrase it?  You know what else?  It makes me jealous of natural phenomena because gravity and sound waves obey God with no other option.  I wish that I could obey God so unerringly; don't you?

Praise the Lord -- one day, we will!

No comments: