Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday's Quote: Humility vs. Pride


I found this quote last week while I was reading Seeing the Unseen by Randy Alcorn.
If you want to be humble, take a good look at God and then a good look at yourself, and notice the difference.  When you see Him as He is and yourself as you are, the very thought of being proud or arrogant should be absolutely laughable.
This quote was especially fitting for me last week when John asked me to make him something for a covered dish dinner at work to celebrate Thanksgiving.  We decided on Fudgy Brownie Bites from Ann Byrn's Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor which, if I do say so myself, are pretty good.  As I made the brownies, I started thinking about how much the men would enjoy them, and how they would shower accolades upon John to give to his wife -- me.

To paraphrase Solomon in Proverbs, "Pride goes before a fall."

Guess what!  The brownies would not come out of the muffin tins!  I'm not sure what happened; I've made this recipe many times without any problems, but something definitely happened.  And I realized that this happens frequently, that when I start getting "the big head" about my baking, something invariably goes wrong...when it never has before.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.

"And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."  Matthew 23:12

Do you have a similar story?  Has your pride gone before one of your falls?

No comments: