Sunday, November 17, 2013

Book Review: Martyr's Fire by Sigmund Brouwer


Martyr's Fire by Sigmund Brouwer is the third book in the Merlin's Immortals Series.  (You can read my reviews of books one and two here.)  In this book, Thomas has control of the city/castle Magnus which is located in northern England but quickly loses it when the Druids arrive.  Since he still doesn't think there is anyone he can trust, specifically Katherine and Hawkwood, he tries to figure out by himself what to do next...without being used by either the Druids or the Immortals.

My main criticism of this series is that there are too many mysteries.  Thomas doesn't know who he is, why taking control of Magnus is important, who the Immortals are, etc.  Finally, finally, at the end of this book, some answers are revealed.  Honestly, all of the deception is wearying.  It would be nice is Katherine and Hawkwood would be truthful with Thomas instead of trying to conceal as much as possible from him.

Did I like this book?  It was okay.  Will I read the next one?  I don't know.  Do I recommend this series?  Only if you like this period of time fictionalized beyond recognition.

I want to thank WaterBrook Multnomah for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: