Wednesday, October 30, 2013

October Reading: Heaven and The Bronze Bow


As the year comes closer to its end, I'm glad to have finished two more of the books I wanted to read this year:
  •  Heaven by Randy Alcorn.  I used to have a Christoplatonic view of Heaven:  I thought we would stand around, basking in God's glory and worshipping Him incorporeally...although how we would stand without a body, I don't know.  Having read several of Alcorn's books, I see how wrong I was.  After God brings Heaven and Earth together when He brings the New Jerusalem down to the New Earth, things on the New Earth will be mighty similar to the things on the old Earth just better because we won't be under the curse anymore, and so much better that we can't even imagine it.  The New Earth will be a lot like Eden, again only better because God always makes things better when He remakes them.  We will have work to do like Adam and Eve did; we will fellowship with old friends and family and new ones that we make in Heaven.  Every single thing that we do will be an act of worship to God because He will be our main focus while we do everything else.  Just as we can worship God here through reading good books, spending time with our friends, and eating delicious food, so we will do the same things there.  All of these facts are in Alcorn's book, but there is so much more.  And he supports everything with Scripture, and the few suppositions he makes, he tells the reader so.  Living in view of eternity with Jesus Christ should change our lives.  I encourage you as strongly as I can to read one of Alcorn's books.  I really don't think that you will regret it.
  • The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Spears.  I had heard good things about this book, but for some reason I didn't think I would like it.  So I kept putting off reading it, but this month I didn't have any excuse so I started it.  Guess what!  I really enjoyed this story of a young Jewish man who has to decide whether or not to follow Jesus, literally, because this story takes place during Jesus' life on Earth.
What have you been reading lately?


No comments: