Friday, October 18, 2013

Book Review: What Once Was Lost by Kim Vogel Sawyer


When a fire burns the kitchen in the Brambleville Asylum for the Poor that Christina Willems manages, she has to find homes for all of the residents.  After finding homes for everyone else, Christina in desperation almost forces the reclusive mill owner Levi Kilgore to take the blind boy Tommy.  Then she has to deal with the mission board about getting the house repaired along with several other adventures including getting accused of stealing her own watch.  Of course, as the book progresses, Levi starts to enjoy having Tommy around, and he and Christina form an attachment.

I liked this book better than the last historical fiction I read.  I appreciated how Christina worked hard to be kind to everyone, even those who were trying to take advantage of her.  But the romance was hardly believable, as Levi and Christina don't spend much time together (thereby getting to know each other) before falling madly in love.  Christina tried to do God's will, and that was refreshing for this type of book.

I want to thank WaterBrook Multnomah for my copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: