Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Book Review: Rebellious Heart by Jody Hedlund



In Rebellious Heart by Jody Hedlund, Susanna Smith is a God-fearing, king-obeying woman in the American colonies during the time before the Revolutionary War, but she does have a stubborn streak.  Ben Ross is a self-made lawyer, and both of them have decided not to like the other one.  But a runaway indentured servant brings them together as they try to figure out how best to help her.  And, of course, along the way, despite their best intentions, they realize that they cannot live without each other.

I didn't much care for this book.  Too much time was spent on pounding hearts and warm feelings when the two protagonists were together, especially when they were alone which was way too often for the time period.  The indentured servant seemed just a plot device used to bring the Susanna and Ben together, and wasn't developed enough.  This book was more romance than historical fiction, and I prefer it the other way around.  I do have to admit that, unlike most of the books I've read in this genre, the characters actually sought to do God's will, and I was impressed with that.

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: