Tuesday, September 17, 2013

More Chicken News...This Time it's Good!


Look at what my wonderful husband built for me!   I mean, for my chickens!  Since I wasn't thrilled with the first coop that we ordered, John decided that he should build one in order to get exactly what we wanted.  And since we lost two chickens last weekend and another one the week before that, this coop became a necessity as letting my chickens free-range was getting them killed.  (The first coop had no room in it for the chickens other than for roosting.)


I had been using an old Pampers box for the nesting box, but I knew that wouldn't last too long.  When I saw this wash bucket, I decided to give it a try.  It may not be the chickens' preferred place to lay eggs, but they're using it.  If you look closely, you can see two eggs (and a golf ball) underneath Alice.


One fun thing that happened this weekend was that Meg started laying.  What fun!  We have a blue egg!  She hasn't laid another one yet; I think she was just whetting our appetite!

I'll have more chicken news for you later in the week.  How's that for whetting your appetite?!

No comments: