Monday, September 23, 2013

Look What Came in the Mail Last Week!


After Bob Tomato got lost and the coyote got two more chickens, I was left with just three, and I wanted more to replace the ones I had lost.  So I ordered some baby chicks!  They arrived last Wednesday, and I got the phone call from the post office early that morning.


I wanted to order them now instead of in the spring so I could get eggs from them sooner.  And the winters here are supposed to be pretty mild, so the cold shouldn't be a problem.


I bought one Barred Rock to replace Bob Tomato, three Light Brown Leghorns, and two White Plymouth Rocks.  One of the Leghorns died shortly after arriving, but that was a good life lesson to my children.  They were fine.  I'm trying to get a diverse flock with different colors.  I figure that if I'm going to have chickens, I may as well have what I like!

The chicks are so cute right now with their fluffy down.  But I'm looking forward to their growing -- more eggs!

No comments: