Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Have Women Changed That Much?


I'm reading a book right that I received free in return for a review, and I came across this paragraph which I found insulting.  The setting is Massachusetts colony before the American Revolution.
The intelligence and decisiveness of her responses were like a shot of energy in his veins.  There was something entirely refreshing about a young woman who wasn't afraid to voice her thoughts and spar intelligent words with a man.  Most women he'd met didn't have the slightest interest in the latest political situation involving the king, not did they have any thoughts about treason or anything else important.
What I find insulting is that the author apparently thinks that women are incapable of rational thought, much less being able to voice these opinions clearly, at least during that time period.  But have women really changed that much?  I don't think so.  And from what I've read about the women of this time period, they were educated, intelligent, and just as capable as their husbands of feeling revolutionary (or British) sentiments.  In fact, I remember a quote (I can't remember where) from a foreign diplomat who thought the only reason we won the war was because our soldiers had women at home, taking care of things so competently that they didn't have to worry about it.

Maybe I'm being a little sensitive; probably I am.  But it irritates me that a woman author obviously thinks that women are shallow, and only a few are capable of deep thoughts.

I'm certainly no feminist.  I gave up my career as a pharmacist to stay home with our children, but that doesn't mean that I think women are second class citizens.

What do you think?  Am I being overly sensitive?

No comments: