Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday's Quotes: One Serious and One Not So Much


I started reading Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean to my children last week, and I came across this quote that made me laugh.  My children enjoyed it, too, and I thought that you might appreciate it, as well.  To set the stage:  this book is a sequel to Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie in which Wendy and her brothers have grown up.  Something appears to be wrong in Neverland, so they feel a need to go back to help Peter Pan.  But how do adults become children again because everyone knows that only children can go to Neverland?
Everyone knows that when you put on dressing-up clothes, you become someone else.  So it follows that if you put on the clothes of your own children, you become their age again.
Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy?  Not that I want to be my children's ages again for good, but occasionally might be nice.

In keeping with the seriousness of most of my Monday's Quotes, here's another one from R.J. Rushdoony's A Word in Season Volume 3 in which Rushdoony addresses people's questions about how a good God can allow bad things to happen.
What they mean is that God must be bound by their idea of goodness, and if He fails to meet their standard, something must be wrong with God!  The truth is, that something is wrong with these people and their standard of goodness.
It seems to me that most people try to explain away the bad things that happen by talking about the Fall and how God can use even bad things to bring Himself glory.  And these are valid points.  But I think that Rushdoony hits the proverbial nail on the head.  Who are we to judge God?  And who are we to define goodness by the things that we like?

What do you think of the Rushdoony quote?  Would you like to be your child's age again, just for a little while?

No comments: