Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Look What I Found Today!!!!!

 For some reason, this is the closest picture I could take of the egg.

This morning when we went out to take care of the chickens, I found this egg!  Whoohoo!  It's the first one!  Finally, I'm starting to reap the fruits of my labors!  Can you tell that I'm excited?  I think the whole neighborhood knows about our first egg!

A comparison with a store bought egg.

As you can see, my egg is a little smaller than the egg from the store, but I hope that's because it's the first one.  Buff Orpingtons are supposed to lay large eggs.  Poor Buttercup.  After we took the egg out of the coop, she started looking for it.  When we went back inside, she was sitting on top of where she had laid the egg.  I know that this breed tends to go broody (sitting on eggs to hatch them), but I didn't think it would happen with the first one.  

In case you're wondering, this is exactly how the egg looked when we found it.  I did not clean it at all. What are we going to do with it?  I'm not sure yet.  One egg won't go far among six people.

I hope there's another one (or two!) tomorrow!

No comments: