Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Back to School!


We started back to school yesterday, and my kids were actually more excited about it than the picture shows.  I got those neat printouts here, if you were wondering.  I've been asked a couple of times why we are starting so early, and we start early and go late so that we can take time off during the school year without worrying about getting behind.  We love to take time off when people come to visit, when someone invites us over for a playdate, and sometimes just because.  Being able to take time off for these reasons is one of the many, many reasons I love to homeschool.  Also, I have to admit that I like the routine that schooling gives us.

Since I enjoy reading about what curricula other mothers use schooling their children, I thought I would share what we're using this year.
  • Math:  Saxon 1 for Daniel and Saxon 3 for Sarah Beth.  I love the Saxon method, as it introduces new concepts in small increments so students don't get frustrated.  And all of the review is nice for the student who didn't get it the first time.  
  • Bible:  Genesis - Joshua from Veritas Press.  The past couple of years, I've read Bible stories while the children colored, so I'm looking forward to studying the Bible more in depth.
  • Reading:  Hooked on Phonics, first grade for Daniel and the second half of second grade for Sarah Beth.  Sarah Beth is reading so well, I bet we breeze through her reading book.
  • Writing:  PreScripts Cursive Letters and Coloring for Daniel and PreScripts Cursive Sentences and Art Lessons:  Medieval to Modern World History for Sarah Beth.  These books don't just have students copy letters; they also have them do some drawing to make it more interesting and to improve fine motor control.  Sarah Beth will be copying passages about world history and coloring/drawing pictures that correspond with the passages.
  • Grammar:  Shurley English Level 1 for Sarah Beth.  I thought it was time to start learning what a noun is and things like that.  
  • Science:  God's Design for Heaven and Earth:  Our Weather and Water.  I love this curriculum.  If you're looking for a good science curriculum, you ought to check this series out.
  • Art:  Drawing with Children.  Sarah Beth loves to draw, and I thought we might try a some art lessons and see what happens.  Looking at the book, however, it might take more time than I thought.  I probably won't implement the lessons until we've got a good routine down with our other, more important subjects first.
  • History:  We'll get this through Classical Conversations, and I'll supplement that with books from the library.
When do you start school?  What curricula are you using?

No comments: