Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Aggravation or Honor?


Yesterday afternoon, John called me from work.  Of course, right before the phone rang, Rachel fell and proceeded to start screaming because she had hurt herself, so I was already a little flustered.  When I answered the phone, John wanted to know when our visitor, who is coming next week, is flying in.  I was a little aggravated because I had written down the information; why couldn't he have done the same?  I was trying to deal with a screaming child, and he wanted me to look something up that he should already know!  But I looked it up and gave him what he needed so he could plan for next week.

Later that day, as I was thinking about this situation again, a thought popped into my mind, and I know without a doubt that it was from the Holy Spirit.  John may not write these things down because he knows that I do, and he trusts me to keep up with this information, freeing him to concentrate on other, more important things.  "Wow!"  I thought, "What an honor!"  John trusts me to keep up with this information so he doesn't have to.

I would like to say that this is the only time I've been aggravated when John asks me for information like this, but it's not...and unfortunately I'm sure it will happen again.  I hope the Holy Spirit reminds me again (and again and again, as needed) that it shows how much John trusts me when he does this.

Is there something that your husband does that bugs you, but if you flip it around, it actually might be a show of respect for you?

"Who can find a virtuous wife?  For her worth is far above rubies.  The heart of her husband safely trusts her; so he will have no lack of gain."  Proverbs 31:10-11

No comments: