Monday, July 29, 2013

The Holiness of God


I've been reading Angels in the Architecture by Douglas Jones and Douglas Wilson, and I came across this quote:
The holiness of God is not so much a distinct attribute as it is the manifestation of all His attributes in all their splendor.  As the color white is not a separate color, but rather all colors together, so the seraphim acknowledge all the attributes of God in the great triagion.
The holiness of God is hard to define, and it is hard to describe.  R.C. Sproul defines it as being "other."  I've also heard holiness defined as being set apart.  But I like Wilson's description the best; it likens God's holiness to something that I do understand, at least in part:  light.  Without holiness, God would not be God, so it's important to have some grasp of what it means, although I do not think we can fully understand what holiness is.  And maybe we never will.  I don't know.

What does the holiness of God mean to you?  Do you think it's important?

No comments: