Monday, July 1, 2013

June Update on Yearly Goals



June was a fun month for us as we ended school, start swimming lessons, and enjoyed a visit from my mother.  But amidst the fun, I was able to get some things done toward my yearly goals.
  • Read through my book list.  I only read one book from my book list in June, so I need to get going to get the rest read!
  • Exercise.  I haven't been exercising like I want to be.  Since I hurt my toe a couple of weeks ago and it's still bothering me, I have been avoiding the treadmill.  *Sigh*
  • Have one fun day in school per month.  We actually had two this month:  Flag Day and Paul Bunyan Day.  All we did for Paul Bunyan Day was read a book about him and watch a short video, but I got to introduce my children to an American legend. 
  • Take one field trip per month.  My mother and I took my children to a local science museum.
  • Date night.  I never got around to scheduling one.  I've got to knuckle down and get it done this month!
  • Home improvement project.  I bought the curtain rods to hang curtains in our bedroom; does that count?  And I got my mother to show me how to sew a button on which will help us out in the future.
  • Service project.  I took two boxes to the pregnancy center, and I'm working on a blanket which will probably go there, as well.  And I made some cookies for a friend who is laid up for a while.
  • Blogging on more serious topics.  While I do have a couple of "serious" posts floating around in my head, I've taken the advice in this post by Ashleigh to blog more of my story.  Can you tell that I've been trying to tell more about my family and what we do around here?  My goal with this blog originally was to connect with friends and family who don't live near us, and I'm trying to get back to that. 
  • Hospitality.  We had a family over last weekend for supper, and we had such a great time...which we always do when we extend hospitality like that.  
  • Work.  I need to send in some paperwork, get fingerprinted, and then I think I'll be able to take the Texas law portion of the pharmacist license exam.  I have to admit that I've enjoyed not working for the last two years!
  • Having my children do more around the house.  The more I do this, the easier it becomes!  And the more they are capable of doing and willing to do.
I took this advice to set three goals for the summer, and I thought this was just as good a place as any to record them.


My summer goals:
  • Get the children swimming.  Sarah Beth took swimming lessons the past couple of weeks, and she did wonderfully!  Daniel starts next week, and we have high hopes for him, too.  We just need to keep taking them to the pool to practice what they learn.
  • Learn to crochet a border.  Done!  I know how to do it now, and I'm finished with my first one!  I just forgot to take a picture.
  • Do something with somebody.  Fail.  I did not do anything with anyone this month, except with my mother.  I don't think she counts, though, because this goal was about connecting with potential or actual friends.  But I have plans to do something with one of my new friends this month; we just haven't decided what yet.
How are you doing with your goals for the year?

No comments: