Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July Reading


I was able to get more books read this month because of my regular walking on the treadmill.  If it weren't for reading, I don't think I could exercise...at least on the treadmill.
  • Timeless Stories:  God's Incredible Work in the Lives of Inspiring Christians by Vance Christie.  Many stories of faith from the lives of five inspiring Christians are told in this book, and it's an encouraging read as these people were not always giants in their faith.  However, the stories are a bit disjointed as it jumps from person to person.  The people profiled in this book are Hudson Taylor, Corrie ten Boom, George Muller, Dwight Moody, Charles Spurgeon, Billy Graham, and William Booth.
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 3) by Rick Riordan.  I reviewed the first and the second books in this series here.  This book just continued the fun and games.
  • Nikola Tesla:  Imagination and the Man who Invented the 20th Century by Sean Patrick.  I didn't know much about Tesla before reading this book, but I am amazed by all that he invented, especially since he isn't very well known.  
  • Moonblood by Anne Elisabeth Stengl.  I cannot say enough good things about this series.  Christian fantasy along the lines of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, although not as good.  While there is clearly good versus evil, the characters do not always want to submit to the Prince, instead forcing their own ways often with disastrous results.  I really enjoy that there isn't really any romance in these books.
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.  I heard a sermon recently where the preacher said something interesting about this book, and it piqued my curiosity.  Apparently, Stevenson, who was a Christian, was asked where he got the inspiration for this book of opposite personalities contained in one man, and he replied that he got it from his own heart.  Since I love reading classics, even (especially!) sci-fi ones, I couldn't wait to read it after hearing that.
  • Practicing Hospitality:  The Joy of Serving Others by Pat Ennis and Lisa Tatlock.  This book showed me that having people over for supper occasionally isn't really hospitality.  Hospitality is more about being ready and willing to serve others whenever God presents the opportunity, and this book shows how to be ready and how to serve, and it even includes recipes!
  • The Truth Seeker by Dee Henderson.  Lisa is a forensic pathologist, figuring out how people died and who murdered them.  So Quinn asks for her help with a case he's been pursuing for twenty years, and it turns out to be related to some cold cases Lisa is working, as well.
What have you read lately?

No comments: