Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Couple of Thoughts About Being Fingerprinted


One of the hoops I have to jump through to obtain my pharmacist license here in Texas is getting fingerprinted.  I took all four children and drove 45 minutes each way in order to have that done yesterday, and here are a couple of my thoughts about the experience.
  1. Being fingerprinted bothers me.  It bothered me the first time I had it done in order to obtain my driver's license in Georgia, and it continues to bother me every time I have it done.  It feels like a violation of my privacy.  My fingerprints are mine, and I don't think Big Brother needs to have them on file just so I can drive my car legally or work as a pharmacist, especially since I have done nothing wrong.  
  2. Fingerprints fade away.  The woman helping me wiped my fingers, then tried to scan them.  Reject.  She tried putting on some lotion.  Reject.  She tried wiping again.  No.  Lotion.  Reject.  I can't tell you how many times she tried to get my fingerprints to scan; a couple of times one would be accepted, but there were probably a hundred failures to the few accepted.  Finally, she called another woman to help, and I asked why they were having such a hard time.  She asked what type of work I do, and I always hesitate when I'm asked this.  I don't work, but I do work.  I work hard, but I don't have a job.  Finally, we decided that washing my hands and washing dishes are my problems.  My enjoyment of baking is making my fingerprints disappear.  She also told me that if I have to do this again in a year, they might not be able to scan them.  I guess they would have to do it the old-fashioned way with paper and ink.  Oh, and did you know that you get wrinkles on your fingers that interfere with fingerprinting?  I saw mine on the computer screen.  *Sigh*  Anyway, after a few more tries, this lady was able to get my fingerprints scanned.  Otherwise, I would have had to come back in a couple of weeks to try again.
Yesterday, when I got home, my fingers were a little tender which I thought was strange since the women weren't rough.  I can't help but wonder, though, if I won't leave fingerprints in a few years, would I be able to get away with...maybe I'd better leave that unsaid.  

When were you last fingerprinted?  Did you have any problems?  Did you know that fingerprints fade away?

No comments: