Wednesday, June 26, 2013

June Update on Yearly Reading


I got a good bit read this month, although only one, the first one, is from my reading list for the year.
  • Miniatures and Morals:  the Christian Novels of Jane Austen by Peter J. Leithart.  This book is one that you most likely would read while taking a class about Jane Austen, but I enjoyed it.  There is a chapter on each of Austen's books, and the author explores the themes in each book.  Since I really appreciate Austen's works, I enjoyed reading about them.
  • A Word in Season:  Volume 1 by R.J. Rushdoony.  This book is full of analyses of our country and ourselves in short bite-sized pieces.  You can read more of my thoughts here.
  • American Phoenix:  John Quincy and Louisa Adams, the War of 1812, and the Exile that Saved American Independence by Jane Cook.  You can read my review here.
  • Veiled Rose by Ann Elisabeth Stengl.  After reading the prequel, Starflower, and the first book, Heartless, in this series, I knew I would enjoy reading this book, too.  And I did.  Stengl's books are an exciting mix of fantasy, fairy tales, and Christian themes.  If you like Christian fantasy, you'll probably like this series, too.
  • The Guardian by Dee Henderson.  After reading Tracey's review of this book (having forgotten how much I enjoyed the first book in this series), I decided to read this one.  Marcus is a federal marshal charged with protecting the only witness of the shooting of a federal judge.  I enjoyed this book as much as the first one.
Not only Sarah Beth wants me to read chapter books now; occasionally, Daniel will find one that's interesting.  Here are the chapter books we read this month.
  • Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie.  What a fun (but a little gory) book about a little boy who doesn't want to grow up.
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder:  Young Pioneer by Beatrice Gormley.  When I read this book about Wilder, I was surprised that it didn't match up with the books she wrote about her own childhood.  She actually fictionalized her own story so that it would read better in books.  If you want the true story, you need to read this book or another of her biographies.
  • A Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett.  Sarah Beth really enjoyed this book about a little girl who looses everything only to gain more back in the end.  You can read more of my thoughts here.
What have you read lately?

No comments: