Monday, April 29, 2013

What I've Read So Far This Year


I haven't written a post yet this year about what I've read, so this one is a little long.  But I have read some good books so far this year, and I enjoy telling you about them.  And I hope that if you decide to read one that you will let me know how you liked it.
  • Cleaning House:  a Mom's 12-Month Experiment to Rid her Home of Youth Entitlement by Kay Willis Wyma.  You need to read this book.  It will help you get more out of your children with the right goal.  The goal isn't for our children to do more around the house so that our lives will be easier and they will learn how to do things.  The goal is to have them do things, sometimes hard things, so their self-confidence will grow.  Then they will be willing to try other hard things.  A very good book that I highly recommend.
  • To Love Anew by Bonnie Leon.  This book captured my attention when I read the brief synopsis about a man and a woman who separately end up on a prison ship bound for Australia.  Both were guilty of very minor crimes, but the sentences they received were rather harsh.  I didn't know much about how criminals from Britain ended up in Australia, so I found this historical novel intriguing.
  • The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley.  Flavia de Luce is smart, witty, and spunky; she has a penchant for poisons which she loves to use to antagonize her sisters...as they torment her with stories of her being adopted.  Did I mention that Flavia is eleven years old?  Everyone treats her as a child (because she is), but she solves the mysteries as quickly as, or quicker than, the local police.  And because this book takes place in 1950's Britain, it's also an interesting read about the life and times then and there.  If you enjoy mysteries, I think you'll like this new approach.  I reviewed the first book in this series here.
  • Heartless by Anne Elisabeth Stengl.  After reading Starflower by the same author, I thought I would try another one in the series.  Once again, Stengl uses a fairy tale-like setting to show spiritual truths.  I enjoyed this book, too.
  • The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gillman.  This book was a fun read about a 60-something year old widow who wants to join the CIA.  Her common sense approach helps her succeed in her mission when everyone else assumed she would fail.  I really enjoyed this book because it was just fun.
  • An Impartial Witness by Charles Todd.  Set during World War I, Bess Crawford is a nurse who plays detective when she's not saving the lives of wounded soldiers.  This is the second in the series.
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One) by Rick Riordan.  Yes, I admit on the internet that I read this book.  I will even admit to enjoying it.  It was an exciting read that was full of clean action and adventure.
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two) by Rick Riodan.  This book was my guilty fun read over my birthday weekend.
Have you read any of these books?  What did you think?  What have you been reading lately?

No comments: