Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Random Question: What's Your Favorite Fairytale?


My favorite fairytale is Beauty and the Beast, and it always has been.  I'm not talking about the Disney version.  No, I'm talking about the classic tale where Beauty's family was rich but lost everything.  And when her father traveled back to their old hometown, all Beauty wanted was a rose.  When her father couldn't find one for her, and when he stumbled upon an empty (or so he thought) castle, he took a rose from a beautiful rose garden for her.  Then the Beast demanded some payment for the theft:  the first thing that Beauty's father saw when he returned home.

I had a book with lovely illustrations for this story when I was a child.  I wish I still had it.  I loved to look at it and read the story, and I would love to share it with my daughters.  I guess its appeal has to do with loving the unlovely, or being unlovely and still being loved.  Hmmm.  I think there's a great metaphor there for the Christian faith, isn't there?  God loved us the unlovely and made us lovely.  Hmmm.

What is your favorite fairy tale?  Why?

2 comments:

Laura said...

I know you'll be shocked to hear this, but I really don't have one. :) I very clearly remember disliking fairy tales and nursery rhymes when I was little. I disliked playing with dolls too. It's because they were not real. I desperately wanted a REAL baby to play with! I wanted to read stories about things that really happened, not made up nonsense. At least that is what I thought it as at the time. As an adult I don't view them as nonsense anymore, and I can see the benefit in reading them (sometimes), but I still much prefer non-fiction over fiction. I definitely see the parallels between Beauty and the Beast and the Christian faith, and those sorts of parallels are what make a lot of things worth reading.

Nikki said...

Laura, I can see that you would prefer nonfiction to fiction. I've always preferred fiction, but I'm learning to appreciate nonfiction, especially biographies now.