Sunday, August 12, 2012

Booking It: August Update


Walking/jogging on my treadmill has given me a bunch more time to read.  I really enjoy that aspect of my exercising, even though I don't much care for the actual jogging part.  Here's what I read this month:
  • If I Perish by Esther Ahn Kim. I want to say that I enjoyed this book, but I just can't. It's not the kind of book that you "enjoy." Ahn Ei Sook (aka Esther Ahn Kim) stood firm for Jesus Christ during the end of the Japanese rule of Korea. For her belief, she was imprisoned in horrible conditions and tortured. While there, her faith increased, and God used her to lead many other prisoners and even some of the guards to Christ. She reminded me of Joseph; both of them were imprisoned falsely, and both were held in high esteem by fellow prisoners and jailers. The way that Esther continued to praise God in the midst of her sufferings amazed me. It also shamed me as I tend complain so easily about my circumstances.
  • Where Lilacs Still Bloom by Jane Kirkpatrick. You can read my full review here.
  • The Orphan King by Edmund Brouwer. You can read my full review here.
  • The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. I was intrigued by this story when I watched the Disney version of it with my children recently, you know, the one with Mickey Mouse.  I hadn't read anything by Mark Twain since junior high school, and I have to admit that I was put off by the vernacular that Twain uses in Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. I enjoyed this story about a prince and a pauper trading places; neither understand before the switch how much he has to be grateful for. After the switch, each boy realizes how good he really had it and desires to return to his former place. This book is a good one to help you realize how much you have, even when you feel like you have nothing.  Since I enjoyed this book so much, I plan to read more by Twain.
What did you read this month?  

This post is linked to Life as Mom:  Booking It.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Great work on all the reading this month! I'm determined to read more in August than I did in July. I've already finished two books for August (which is all I read in July) so I should be able to make my goal.

Have a great week!

Nikki said...

Good job with your reading! As for me, it really helps that I can read my kindle while I walk/jog on the treadmill. An extra 30 minutes a day reading is worth it!