Wednesday, August 8, 2012

An Update on Rachel

 Rachel waking up from the MRI.

John took Rachel for her MRI on Monday, and she did great.  He was able to be with her while they put her to sleep and when she woke up.  It did show muscle involvement, but we weren't surprised about that.

The doctor did not want to wait until today to start treatment, so we headed back yesterday for Rachel's first infusion.  She did great again although getting the IV was pretty awful.  Thankfully, they left it in so we don't have to go through that again today and tomorrow.

Rachel asleep on the way home yesterday.  It's been a long couple of days.

She still looks great, like nothing is wrong except these odd rashes.  When John asked about further infusions or whatever, the doctor basically said that we're not going to worry about that yet.  We're going to assume that this treatment "fixes" her and that there won't be any relapses.

We want to thank each of you who are praying for our little girl.  She is being a trooper about all of this, and it is amazing to see how resilient she is.  We praise the Lord that we caught this disease when we did.

7 comments:

Tracey said...

Glad to hear that things have gone pretty well so far. It sounds like you have a strong little girl there!! Will continue to pray.

aurie good said...

Oh my - I missed all of this. So sorry - praying now!

Nikki said...

Thanks, ladies, for your prayers!

Kristin said...

You and Rachel are very much in my daily prayers! I'm sorry I didn't get back to your blog to comment earlier (my computer has the hiccups). I don't know much about this particular disease, but I do know how exhausting the process of diagnosis and treatment can be for the whole family.

Nikki said...

Thank you, Kristin, for your prayers. I'm sure that you do know what we're going through, and how hard it is.

Laura said...

Those are such sweet pictures of Rachel. I love the one of her sucking her fingers. I'm so glad that they left the IV in so they didn't have to re-stick her twice more!

Nikki said...

Laura, we were, too! It was awful getting that IV in, and we certainly didn't want to relive it. I even made sure that they put the IV in her hand with the fingers that she doesn't suck. Wouldn't that have been awful, if she couldn't have sucked her fingers?