Thursday, July 19, 2012

Book Review: Where Lilacs Still Bloom


Where Lilacs Still Bloom by Jane Kirkpatrick is based on the true story of Hulda Klager who was one of the pioneers of plant hybridizing.  With only an eighth grade education, Hulda developed about 250 different varieties of lilacs.  This book tells her story as she starts tinkering with apples, moves to daffodils, and ends up with lilacs.  As she works with her flowers, Hulda has to juggle the demands of her family and the different people whose lives she touches with her flowers.

This is a wonderful story of a simple, hardworking woman who brings beauty into her world without realizing that she doesn't have the training for it.  It should be great encouragement to someone who thinks they can't do something because they don't have the right...whatever.  It's also fun to read about the early 1900's and what life was like for a "normal" household.  While the first few chapters were a little confusing as I had to get used to the points of view changing, I recommend this book, even if you don't like flowers.

I want to thank WaterBrook Multnomah for my copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: