I thought I would show you our "lake." As you can see, the water has not receded much. (Here is a picture from last month.) It has gone down about two feet, but there is probably another six or so feet left to go. It's getting a little old, honestly -- for us. There are people in our area whose homes still have water in them. How do you repair homes that have been waterlogged for two months? I don't think you can, and my heart hurts for these people.
Anyway, we've had a good month here: I took a trip up to my parents' house for a friend's wedding; I discovered a ministry opportunity next door; and we celebrated John's birthday. A good month. Here is how I did with the goals I made this year:
- School. We have school about three days a week because there are other fun things for us to do the other days. And that's okay. It's summertime, and we're enjoying it. However, we start Classical Conversations on August 23, so it'll be soon enough that we need to knuckle down and hit the books for real, especially since Sarah Beth will be in the first grade. I'm just not sure that I'm ready to teach two children at once.
- Reading. I don't know why I even made this goal; I always get at least two books read every month. I can't seem to help it.
- Losing weight. I have two more pounds to go. Considering that I had three to go at the end of last month, I only lost one pound this month. I think I'm slacking off as I near my goal.
- Run a 5K. The date for the 5K that I'm planning to run is September 29; it benefits our local pregnancy center. I've been working my way up minute by minute, and I am now running 18 minutes. I hope to run the whole thing, but I won't be too upset if I can't.
- Hospitality. This goal has fallen by the wayside, and we need to get back on the wagon. (How's that for mixed metaphors?)
- Florida license. This goal has changed to looking for a job, and I've got a lead on one, I think.
- Monthly service night. Here is another goal that has fallen by the wayside. Maybe I should change this one to visiting my neighbor once a week.
How was your month? How are you doing with your goals for the year?