Sunday, September 11, 2011

Booking It: September Edition


I don't feel like I got much read this month, but I guess maybe I did. And none of these books are on my reading list for the year. Oh, well. Here's what I did read:
  • Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. This book reminded me of Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, but it wasn't nearly as good. Molly, a quiet and shy young lady who never asserts herself, reminded me of Fanny while Roger seemed like Edward, the second son of an important man who falls for the wrong woman. Despite the similarities, this book was very different from Austen's work, and it wasn't nearly as good. It was looong, and the parts in between the action were, well, rather boring. I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped, but I did finish it. However, if you love Jane Austen, you may want to try this book since it is written similarly.
  • Jim the Boy: A Novel by Tony Earley. This book really isn't a "coming of age" story although it does tell the story of one's boy's life during one year. This book chronicles how several changes during the year affect Jim's life: going from a one room schoolhouse to a multiple-room school, learning that the "mountain" boys aren't that different from the "town" boys, meeting his grandfather for the first time, seeing the ocean for the first time, and finally getting electricity in his hometown after having had his house wired for it for years. (This book takes place during the Depression.) I rank this book up there with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and the Mitford books. If you like those, I really think you'll like this one, too. Meanwhile, I'm going to see what other books Earley has written so I can add those to my reading list as well.
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My daughter and I really enjoy the "Mary and Laura" books, and this one didn't disappoint. It tells how the Ingalls family moved to a "civilized" place (re: small town) and spent the first few years there, fighting locusts, prairie fires, blizzards, etc.. I enjoy reading this series with my children because it exposes them to a different time period. If you haven't read this series with your children, you should!
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder. We continued our reading with this book, and we enjoyed it just as much. Things weren't going well on Plum Creek, so Pa moves the family further West to Silver Lake where he works in the railroad's store for the summer. After the railroad shuts down for the winter, the family stays there pretty much by themselves. Pa does find their new homestead, and the family moves there in the spring. This book enchanted and delighted us just as much as the first ones in the series did.
  • I reviewed Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman here.
  • I reviewed The Chocolate Diaries by Karen Linamen here.
  • I reviewed 100 Read and Sing Devotions by Stephen Elkins here.
To see what others have been reading, head over to Life as Mom: Booking it September Edition.

5 comments:

Charity said...

You've been a busy reader! I love these monthly book posts. Isn't it interesting reading the Little House books as an adult? Whole different perspective!

I have read several of Gaskell's works! I love the Wives and Daughters story. (BBC did a great job filming this one.) I got so into it when I read it, it was certainly an abrupt end - although I knew it was coming. :) I really like Cranford as well as Mr. Harrison's Confessions. So few have heard of Elizabeth Gaskell. I tell people that she is a combination of Austen and Dickens. :) North and South is an awesome bit of storytelling! :)

Nikki said...

Charity, I have to admit that I didn't read the Little House books as a child. Somehow I missed them. And we read them so quickly because every time I sit down, my daughter says, "Will you read me a chapter?" Since I enjoy the books, too, I usually do!

I'm glad that I found Gaskell's works, and maybe I'll read a couple more after hearing you rave about them!

Audrey said...

I have to admitt that I like Wives and Daughters too. Molly is such a good role model. I know I am not nearly as patient, loyal, or perserving. Perhaps you would like the movie better or a different story. North and South ( Mom's favorite) and Ruth are about social injustices.

As a side note, we love Jane Austen too. We think that Jane Austen and Elizabeth Gaskell are about equal over here.

Nikki said...

Audrey, I will try those two out. Maybe they'll be free on my Kindle!! Thanks for the recommendation.

Amy said...

Love those Little House books!