Thursday, July 14, 2011

What Battles are You Fighting?

Last week in church, we sang the hymn "For All the Saints," and one of the lines struck me. I've sung this hymn before, but the line "got" me this time. "O may Thy soldiers, faithful, true, and bold, fight as the saints who nobly fought of old...." Do you feel like a soldier? I don't. But we are! We are fighting battles daily against the forces of darkness, or at least, we should be. I feel more like I'm fighting battles daily against the forces that create messes, dirty dishes, and add to the laundry pile. (Not that I'm fighting my children; I'm just fighting against having a messy, dirty house.)
But there's something much bigger going on. Yes, God has already won the war through His precious Son Jesus Christ, but we have battles to fight. Honestly, I'm just not sure what they are, but these are the ones that come to mind:
  • the battle against losing my temper when someone spills their milk.
  • the battle against watching something on television that I should not.
  • the battle to love my husband as I'm commanded and to submit to him.
  • the battle to love my children.
  • the battle to have patience as my house doesn't sell.
  • the battle to protect the innocence of my children.
I guess it just feels like I should be fighting bigger battles, and maybe I should be. Maybe I don't show up for the combat like I should. Maybe there are battles that I should be fighting that I'm not; definitely, I need to pray about this.

What do you think? Do you feel like a soldier? What kind of battles are you fighting?

1 comment:

crazymotheringchick said...

Nikky, I'm loving your lessons. Keep them up!