Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Praying Hard Enough?

The other day as I left my house for another showing, my first thought was, "Getting the house ready for a showing is too much trouble if they're not even going to make an offer." My second thought was, "Maybe I'm not praying enough."

Not praying enough. Hmmm. How often is enough? Sometimes, I just can't get out of bed early enough to read my Bible and pray before Sarah Beth comes downstairs. Sometimes, I fall asleep at night before I can start praying. And sometimes, I forget to pray about the house when I'm praying with my children. If I prayed that the house would sell at each of these times, would that be enough?

Then I felt God nudging me. I didn't do anything to earn my salvation; Jesus did it all. As a matter of fact, if I were able to add to what Christ did for me, it would make what He did null and void. On the same lines, there is nothing that I can do to make my house sell quicker. God does not make deals with us: if I pray five times a day that my house will sell, will God then grant my wish? While I have to admit that it would be nice sometimes if God worked that way, I'm glad that He doesn't. If I had to earn my salvation, if I had to earn His favors, what a hard, hard road that would be! I am truly thankful for God's grace, and I know that our house will sell in His timing which may not (and obviously isn't!) our timing.

Meanwhile, I will keep praying as I remember the parable of the persistent man who goes to his friend's house late at night, asking for bread (Luke 11:5-9). His friend replies that he cannot because it is too late at night and everyone is in bed. But because the man is so persistent, his friend finally gives up, gets up, and gives him the food he requires. May I be so persistent that God "gives up, gets up, and gives" me what I want!

5 comments:

Aurie said...

It's so hard to wait on Him, but remember.....everything happens in His time - not ours. Trust me, it's not easy to be patient {and there is nothing wrong with praying!!} trust that it will happen according to His plan :)

Marva said...

Having patience is so hard! Praying with you!

Tracey said...

Thank you for this wonderful reminder that it is all by grace! Trusting that God will answer in His time and in His perfect way.

Have a nice day!

Audrey said...

I find it encouraging that God is teaching someone else a similar lesson that I've been struggling with. I have started to pray that God would give me what I require for the lesson...ie the patience to wait, the trust and faith that He will provide in His time, perseverance etc. Thanks for sharing what you've been learning :0)
~Nikki

crazymotheringchick said...

Lovely post, and good lesson. Thank you!