Monday, July 11, 2011

Booking It: July Edition

While I only read one book off my original reading list this month, I read a few good ones that should have been. Since it's July and the year is half over, I think I'd better get back to my reading list!
  • Other People's Houses by Lore Segal. This book was another, different look at World War II for me. Segal tells her own story as a Jewish child who rides the first Children's Transport out of Austria to England in 1938. Of course, parents weren't allowed on this transport, so her parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. all charged her to write so-and-so to sponsor them so they also could leave Austria. One thing that was nice, although sobering, about this book was the little snippets of information she gives about what happens to the people she comes into contact with through the war. Segal's parents were sponsored and came to England as well. She continues the story after the war with her college education; her uncle and grandparents ended up in, so she and her mother (her father had died in England) followed them there. After their numbers finally came up, the family moved to New York City. While it is a sad, sad story, there are rays of brightness, and I recommend this book.
  • Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling by Andy Crouch. This book was a little different than what I usually read, but I enjoyed it. Basically, what Crouch says is that you can, and cannot, change culture, and there are all different kinds or spheres of cultures. There is the American culture, our political culture, our neighborhood culture, and the culture in our own homes. The smaller the culture, the more likely it is that I can change it; therefore, I can change the culture in my home fairly easily. I, by myself, cannot change the political culture. However, if I can inspire enough people I may be able to change the political culture in my county, possibly extending that to change the culture of my state, then perhaps the country. Crouch explains all of this, looking through the lens of Christianity; God gave us culture in the Garden of Eden, and He expects us to continue to shape culture. Jesus Christ was a culture maker, and so should we be, also.
  • Bringing up Boys by James Dobson. The first chapter and a half of this book are worth reading just for the boyish exploits it contains! Whew! But seriously, even though I have two brothers and most of the children in my neighborhood growing up were boys, there were still a few things I learned from this book. While I already knew that boys are rambunctious, I didn't know that they tend to prefer nonfiction books. The fiction books they read need to be full of action and adventure, not character development that girls prefer. If you have a boy, you should really read this book or another one like it. I'm sure that you already know that boys and girls are different, but I bet this book has some information in it that you would find helpful.
  • I also reviewed A Vision of Lucy by Margaret Brownley. You can read the review here.
I have also enjoyed reading some "chapter" books with my children. Now that Sarah Beth is five, I figured it was time to start. And boy! is she enjoying them. Daniel tries, but I think he's just not quite ready.
  • Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Do I really need to say anything about this book?
  • Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. What a delightful book about a pig and the spider who saves his life! I have read it a time or two before, but it has been a long, long time. There is a bunch of interesting information about spiders in it that I had quite forgotten about.
  • Heidi by Johanna Spyri. What a delightful book about an orphan who changes the lives of everybody she comes in contact with...except her Aunt Detie. Hmmm. (We did read an "adapted" version since Sarah Beth is only 5, but one day we'll tackle the "real" thing.)
What have you been reading? To see what others have been reading, head over to Life as Mom: Booking it.

By the way, Audrey is hosting a giveaway for a beautiful handmade dress to celebrate the opening of their etsy shop Pretty Posy Frocks. Check it out here!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

"Other People's Houses" sounds like an interesting book - good review as well! Thanks for stopping by and Happy Reading!

Amy said...

Bringing Up Girls by Dobson is very good too. Read that one last month. I also read Heidi (more of a children's version) to my 5 year old and we are going to watch the movie on Netflix.