Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday's Tip: How to Make a Heart-Shaped Cake


When Sarah Beth saw a picture of a heart-shaped cake in Ann Byrn's The Cake Mix Doctor, I was nervous. When she said that she wanted one for her birthday, I almost panicked. How in the world do you make a cake in the shape of a heart...without buying an expensive cake pan? I took a couple of deep breaths, looked at the directions, and realized that it really wasn't a big deal at all. Interested? Keep reading. (I'm sorry I don't have more pictures; I forgot to take them as I went along, but you'll get the idea.)

First, you make a regular cake mix batter. Then you pour it into a square pan and a round pan. I used an 8x8 square dish and a regular cake pan. After the cakes cool and are out of the pans, you cut the round cake in half. Then you add the halves to the square cake, kind of like mouse ears.

Then you make icing. If you're a good mother, you let your children lick the spoon and beater (while you lick the bowl...but only if you're pregnant!).


Then you ice the cake with your frosting, and you have a heart-shaped cake!

Believe me, if I can do it, you can, too.

What fun cakes have you made for your children?

3 comments:

Marva said...

Great job! IT looks fairly easy but i have a heart shaped pan...so I'll just stick with that! LOL The only reason I have one is because my Mom's b'day is on Valentine's Day and I make her one everry year.

I love that pic of Sarah Beth and Daniel! Sarah Beth is just beautiful! She is really growing up!

Blessings!

Aurie said...

Seriously love this idea - I might need to copy it :) My girls are all about cake and frosting - perfect combo! Thanks for posting this!

Nikki said...

Aurie, you should definitely try it. It's super-easy, and I'm sure your girls will love it!