Wednesday, June 29, 2011

God's Word is a Light Unto my Feet...

When I was at the doctor's office a couple of weeks ago, I ran into a woman that I hadn't seen in years. We got to talking about things, and I was explaining to her our situation in moving to Florida. She reminded me that God promises to shine a light to our feet, not a spotlight to show us all the way down the path. I was grateful to her for her words of wisdom, and I am again today.

Do you remember that we found two houses on my trip down to Florida? We put a very low-ball offer in on the first one, and the bank countered back with a price that is still out of our reach. That's okay; we see the hand of God in this. No problem, we'll just put in an offer on the second house. Uh-oh! It already has two offers on it. So we're adding ours to the pot, too, but where does this leave us? John has looked at (and ruled out) most of the other houses in the area that we can afford.

We've also talked about renting a house so I can move down there with the children. Our family would all be together again, and we could take our time looking at houses. We found out yesterday the reason that people don't want to give leases shorter than six months -- they have to pay sales tax if the lease is less than six months. So what are we to do? The house we need now is different than the house we'll need in six months when this baby comes. (Yes, this baby has to have his own room; babies are too loud to stay with us in our bedroom.) I suppose that we could adapt, and maybe that's what we'll need to do.

I'm back to the wise words of my friend: God promises to shine a light for my feet, illuminating my next step or two. He does not promise to shine a spotlight to show me what will happen next year, next month, or even sometimes next week. All I can do is wait and see, and keep walking and trusting Him.

Meanwhile, I am praying hard that our offer will be accepted on the house!

7 comments:

Aurie said...

praying right along with you!

Laura said...

Those are great words of wisdom. Words that I can definitely benefit from right now too! Thanks for sharing them.

Audrey said...

We'll be praying that everything goes smoothly too!

Nikki said...

Thank you for your prayers! I greatly appreciate them!!

Laura, you're welcome!

Tracey said...

Such an encouragement to read how you're trusting God to meet this need! May you see His hand at work!

Bev Cannon said...

Heard the great news Nikki! So happy for you... and yes... God did in fact does shine "a lamp to our feet and a light to our path." through his Word. :) Gonna miss y'all!

Nikki said...

Bevalie, I'll miss you, too, but staying here wouldn't help that any. Oh, well!