Thursday, June 23, 2011

Daniel's New Thing

Daniel has started telling me that he doesn't love me anymore. Almost always, this is preceded by my punishing him or not letting him do something he wants to do. My reaction probably makes me the world's worst mother, but honestly, I think it's cute. I mean, what's not to love about my three year old son saying, "I don't wuv you anymore, Mommy." Of course, I don't laugh at him or let him know that I think it's funny. Usually, I just reply that I love him. When he is especially serious about it, I look him straight in the eye and tell him, "It doesn't matter what you do or say, I will always love you." And he usually replies, "But I don't wuv you." And I think, "Tough, kid. It doesn't matter. I discipline you because I love you; if I didn't care about you, I would let you run around like a wild banshee."

Of course, I'm not at all worried about Daniel right now. I do think it's funny, though, that Sarah Beth has never told me that she doesn't love me. I wonder if Rachel will. However, I think my reaction to Daniel-as-a-teenager might be a little different.

Have you had your child tell you that he doesn't love you anymore? How did you react?

4 comments:

Aurie said...

Sophie hasn't uttered those words yet, and I am so glad. How does that not crush you as a momma? I have NO idea what I would say to her??

crazymotheringchick said...

Aw, heck yeah, my kids have done that. I tell them I don't believe them, I know they do love me, then I won't argue with them. LMHO

Nikki said...

Aurie, I find it funny because five minutes later, he's telling me that he "wuvs" me again. He's just mad at me for the moment and reacting in the only way he knows how. I really think it's just cute.

Nikki said...

crazymotheringchick, I would do the same thing if Daniel were any older. But you can't reason with an unreasonable person, and a three year old is an unreasonable person, as my mother-in-law told me once.