Saturday, June 11, 2011

Booking It: June Edition


I didn't get much read off my original reading list this month, so I think I need to be more intentional in my reading. And I didn't read as much as last month, but that's a good thing! It means that I'm feeling better and able to do more around the house. But I have missed all of the reading. Anyway, here are the books I did read this month:
  • The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I wasn't exactly sure what I had gotten when I received my copy of this book. I mean, what kind of mystery has an eleven year old girl as the heroine? But this book was amazing! It takes place in 1950's England, a few years after World War II. When Flavia discovers a dying man in the cucumber garden, she thinks, "I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn't. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life." Flavia's father is arrested and charged with the man's murder, so she sets out to discover who really did it and why. The attention to detail in this book struck me again and again; I really felt like I was in England in the 1950's. And Flavia is an astonishing little girl, one that you can't help but like despite her love for poisons and such. This book is definitely worth reading.
  • I read The Ale Boy's Feast by Jeffrey Overstreet, and you can read my review here. It's the fourth (and last) in a series, and while I haven't read the previous books, I really enjoyed this one.
  • You can read my review of MacArthur by Mitchell Yockelsson and Stephen Mansfield here. Obviously, this book is a biography about the great hero of the World War II Pacific Theater, and it's an informative read.
  • You can read my review of The Reluctant Queen by Joan Wolf here which is a romantic retelling of the story of Esther. It's a fun read.
  • I also reviewed The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan yesterday as a part of Booking It, and you can read my review here.
Currently, I am reading:
  • Culture Making by Andy Crouch which show us how we (you and I, not some nebulous "we") can change our own cultures.
  • Other People's Houses by Lore Segal which tells the story of one Jewish child who rode the Children's Transport from Austria to Great Britain before the start of World War II.
  • Jeremy: the Tale of an Honest Bunny by Jan Karon. This is the first "chapter" book I've read with my children, and so far we're enjoying it.
I'll be sure and review these books next month...assuming I've finished them. To see what others have been reading, head over to Life as Mom: Booking It.

3 comments:

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy said...

I've not read Andy Crouch's book, but we covered some of his material last summer in a class at church. We're still talking about it at my house--especially his famous "5 questions"!

I'm going to have to find a copy of that book!

:) said...

I am going to have to check out the Reluctant Queen. Last month I completeted Beth Moore Study of Esther. What a great list of books.

Kathleen said...

The Reluctant Queen looks good. I'm a sucker for books based on history and Bibilical events.