Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Book Review: The Reluctant Queen by Joan Wolf


The Reluctant Queen by Joan Wolf is a retelling of the story of Esther. Most of my readers are probably already familiar with this story, but in case you aren't, here is a summary. The king of Persia put away his first wife Vashti and needed a replacement for her. Young women from all over the empire were rounded up and brought to him as a possible new wife. Out of all of these women, Esther, a Jew, is chosen. God uses her in her new position to keep her people from being utterly destroyed in a pogrom.

I enjoyed this book. The love story between Ahasuerus and Esther is touching and believable. The relationship between Esther and Mordecai is also well done. It was fun looking into the thoughts and feelings that Esther had as she was brought unwillingly into the king's harem. While there are some historical inaccuracies, the author deals with them in a note at the end of the book. I think she should have done so at the beginning, however, so that I would know they were coming. All in all, this is a great book, and I recommend it.

I want to thank BookSneeze for my Kindle-copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

4 comments:

Charity said...

Sounds good! Maybe I should have read that one instead of Susannah... :)

Nikki said...

Chari, I don't know, but if you can get a copy of this one, you should!

Aurie said...

This has been on my to-read list - great review! I have always been a bit fascinated by Esther!

Nikki said...

Aurie, I have a certain fondness for Esther, too, so I was thrilled to be able to get a copy of this book..for free!