Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Perfect Dog

John and I were watching a show about designer dogs the other day on television, and we found the perfect dog for our family. At least, I think so.

No, we're talking about getting a dog anytime soon, but we do want to get a dog. We figure that we are at least two years away since we want this baby I'm carrying to be walking, at least, before we get a dog. I've also heard the suggestion to wait until the last child is potty trained, and that sounds good to me, too. For me, however, the biggest criterion for when we get a dog is when Sarah Beth and Daniel are old enough to take care of it. Don't laugh at me, please, when I say this; my mother does. Since I have to take care of our house, our four children, my husband, and schooling our children, I think they can help by taking care of the dog. I don't mind reminding them some, but they should be able to feed it and walk it by themselves.

My parents had a Golden Retriever a few years ago, and she was an amazing dog. At the puppy class my mother took her to, they said that she was the only dog owner they wished hadn't heard their talk about spaying/neutering their dogs because she was such a nice dog. But there was all of that hair!! John's sister has a miniature poodle which is a very nice dog, too, and we've thought about getting one of those. Poodles don't have fur, they have hair so they don't shed much. John had a Labrador Retriever growing up, so he's partial to that breed, but they're more independent than a Golden, and we want a nice family dog. We also acquired a couple of good dogs from a local rescue group when we owned our farm. Their purpose was to make people think twice about getting out of their cars when they came over, and Sadie and Sandy certainly did that!

Anyway, back to my point: while we were watching this show, they had all kinds of funny mixed breeds, like the Chiweenie which is a cross between a Chihuahua and a Dachshund. (Who wants to cross two stubborn dogs?) There was also a Border Collie and a Jack Russell cross which probably never stops moving. But the one that grabbed my attention was the Golden Poodle which is a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle. Do you see why I was I was attracted? And they even come in a miniature size which comes from a Golden and a miniature poodle!

Then I checked them out on the internet. The puppies I found were $2300. Maybe they're not such a good fit for our family. I guess we'll have to keep looking. But, as I said before, there's no hurry.

Do you have a dog? How did you pick what kind you got: a lot of research or just picking one out from the pound or wherever? How old were your children when you got your dog, and were they able to care for it?

No comments: