Thursday, May 12, 2011

Booking It: May Edition


Since all I've been wanting to do lately is lie in my bed or on the couch, I have had loads of time to read. Reading takes my mind off how lousy I feel, and it keeps the television off. Of course, I haven't wanted to do any heavy reading, but that's okay. There is a time for every season under heaven. (Isn't that from Ecclesiastes?)
  • Breath of Angel by Karyn Henley. When I received my copy of Breath of Angel by Karyn Henley, I wasn't sure what to expect because the story has angels in it. Would it be sacrilegious, making light of angels, or would it be allegorical? It turned out to be neither; it's just a story with angels in it. Melaia is being raised as the next High Priestess when a series of events turns her life upside down. Against her will, she is thrust into the battle between good angels and bad angels (malevolents) who have lost their pathway to the heavens where they belong, and she is unsure of whom to trust. People and angels are not always as they appear. As the story progresses, Melaia discovers that she may be the key to restoring all of the angels to the heavens. At first, she does not know what to do with this information, and then she decides to embrace her destiny. (Read my full review here.)
  • Galileo by Mitch Stokes tells the story of Galileo and his attempt to get the Catholic church to recognize Copernicanism (or how the earth revolves around the sun). Contrary to popular belief, however, Galileo did not want to start a revolt within the church. After he invented the telescope, he just wanted others to give up Aristotelianism (which has the earth as the center of the universe) because of the data he found. Galileo never wanted to fight the church; as a matter of fact, he was a good Catholic and probably a good Christian. His findings just weren't consistent with the prevailing beliefs of the time. When he was asked to recant, Galileo did not hesitate; he immediately complied because he understood that he was under the Church's authority. (Read my full review here.)
  • A New Song by Jan Karon. This book is the sixth in the Mitford series. In it, Father Tim has retired and taken an interim position (a church needs a temporary pastor until it can find a permanent one) on a small island off the coast of North Carolina. With his genuine friendliness and clerical helpfulness, Father Tim changes the lives of many on the island.
  • Nick of Time by Tim Downs is the latest in a series about the "Bug Man." In this book, Nick Polchak, a forensic entomologist (someone who helps solves crimes using evidence from bugs) leaves his fiance Alena the week before their wedding to go help one of his friends solve a murder. Then he discovers that his friend has been murdered, and Nick is like a bulldog who can't let go. He must solve these two crimes, regardless of his fiance and impending wedding. (Read my full review here.)
  • A Common Life by Jan Karon is the seventh book in the Mitford series. This book goes back to the engagement and wedding of Father Tim to Cynthia. Along with telling some of their fears and joys of getting married, this book also tells some of the love stories of several of the other characters as they think about the upcoming marriage of their priest.
  • Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay. This book is one of the type of mysteries that are popular right now where a common woman gets accused of murder and has to figure it out (by herself) in order to clear her name. In this book, the heroine owns a cupcake bakery, and the murder victim is the fiancee of one of her good friends. Of course, she figures out whodunit (so to speak), and of course, she finds herself in danger while doing so. This is a light, fluffy read, but it was perfectly suited to my circumstances, except maybe for the whole cupcake-being-food thing.
  • I'm not exactly what to say about Facts and Falsehoods Concerning the War on the South by George Edmunds because, honestly, I'm afraid of offending someone. So, if you're easily offended, stop reading. Basically, the premise behind this book that was written at the turn of the century, the 20th century, is that what you have been told about the War Between the States is wrong. Lincoln was not a great president who only wanted to preserve the Union and free the slaves. He was a man obsessed with power who hated the South because it loved democracy more than the North, and he couldn't care less about the plight of the slaves. The South did not start the war; we were only defending ourselves. The South had (and every state still has) the right to secede from the United States because it is a voluntary union. Granted, the author obviously hated Lincoln and everything to do with the North, but he cites source after source after source backing up his claims.
  • The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews. When I heard about this book last year, I knew that I wanted to read it. (It just took me a while to get a copy!) Did you know that there were German submarines sinking American ships in the Gulf of Mexico during World War II? If not, you're in the majority because the government stifled the reports to keep people from hysteria. This book is the story of one German (not a Nazi) who came ashore and how he was integrated into a small Southern town on Mobile Bay. It is a true story; the author dug up this German's medals in his own backyard, and then dug up this tale. It is a great read, and I highly recommend it.
  • I also reviewed This Little Prayer of Mine by Anthony DeStefano and Mark Elliott, and you can read the review here.
To see what others have been reading this month, head over to Life as Mom.

4 comments:

Beth Stone said...

Wow! You've read a lot this month! I'm impressed... I love Jan Karon's books - I actually grew up pretty close to the town that inspired "Mitford" (Blowing Rock, NC), and it's fun to imagine being in Mitford every time I go back.

The book on the Civil War sounds interesting - I may have to check that out.

I enjoyed your post!

Marva said...

Wow! That is some reading!!! Blessings!

Laura said...

Okay, here's the comment I tried to leave yesterday. :) I don't know how in the world you can read that many books, even if you do feel sick and have to spend a lot of time with your feet up. I don't think I could read that many books in a month if I was shut in a room all by myself with no interruptions! I must be a slow reader, and you must be a fast one. :)

Nikki said...

Laura, I'm not an especially fast reader, but I do enjoy reading. I could (obviously) spend hours every day reading books, but I don't usually have the time. (Un)Fortunately, now I do.