Monday, May 2, 2011

Book Review: Nick of Time by Tim Downs


Nick of Time by Tim Downs is the latest in a series about the "Bug Man." In this book, Nick Polchak, a forensic entomologist (someone who helps solves crimes using evidence from bugs) leaves his fiance Alena the week before their wedding to go help one of his friends solve a murder. Then he discovers that his friend has been murdered, and Nick is like a bulldog who can't let go. He must solve these two crimes, regardless of his fiance and impending wedding.

I enjoyed this book. It was the first in this series that I have read, but I didn't need to have read the previous books to understand this one. Throughout this book, Nick's friends and Alena's pastor give good, sound marital advice to them, but they ignore it. While this book is not overtly Christian, the characters act morally (at least the "good" ones do), and the pastor is treated with respect. However, Nick is a jerk. He can't seem to talk to anyone without trying to offend them, and that really put me off. I may not read anymore of these books just for this one reason. Other than that, I would recommend this book. The plot line was intriguing, and the ending sure was a surprise! It was not at all what I expected! For these reasons, though, I may have to try another one in this series.

I would like to thank BookSneeze for a copy of this book to review, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: