Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Review: MacArthur by Mitchell Yockelson and Stephen Mansfield


When I requested this book from BookSneeze, I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting. I did not know much about MacArthur, but I hoped to remedy this fact by reading this book. And I did. MacArthur by Mitchell Yockelson and Stephen Mansfield tells the life story of Douglas MacArthur, starting with how his grandfather, a great judge, and his father, a hero in the War Between the States, influenced his life. This book details some of MacArthur's exploits in the Spanish-American War and tells of his heroics in World War I. But most of this book focuses on his leadership in the Pacific part of World War II where MacArthur really made his name. Then, of course, came his fall from grace, so to speak, during the Korean War.

One of the things I liked about this book was that it also told a great deal of MacArthur's personal life; it didn't just go from war to war, only telling about his exploits in those. MacArthur was a brave man; he like to lead from the front. When the Philippines were invaded, MacArthur had to be ordered to leave. Otherwise, he would have stayed with his men (and been captured, more than likely). He also was a family man; he was devoted to his mother and cared for her after his father died. He doted on his wife and son. I really enjoyed this book, and I highly recommend it, especially if you want to learn more about one of America's great heroes or the Pacific theater of World War II.

I want to thank BookSneeze for giving me a copy of this book to read (via my Kindle), but my opinions are my own.

No comments: