Thursday, May 19, 2011

Book Review: The Ale Boy's Feast


The Ale Boy's Feast by Jeffery Overstreet sounded so good every time I read the blurb about it that I finally had to get a copy and see if it lived up to it. I wasn't disappointed. Even though I hadn't read the first three books in this series, there was a short summary in the beginning which brought me up to speed for the most part, and I was able to figure out what was going on. I don't want to tell you too much about the plot because I don't want to give anything away, but I will tell you that this book was written in the same vein as C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia and J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. The author is a Christian, and he has woven the struggle between good versus evil throughout this book. There even seems to be a fall from Paradise at the beginning with a resolution back to Paradise at the end. And there are several subplots of redemption.

While this book is very good, it is not quite in the same league as the series I mentioned above. However, I did enjoy this book immensely, and I plan to obtain copies of the first three books so that I can see how the story began. However, the ending is a little vague, and I can't help but wonder if there is a fifth book, or if the author just wants to leave it to our imaginations. But enough of the loose threads were tied that I don't feel like I was left hanging. I do recommend this book with the caveat that you should really start with the first one in the series.

I want to thank WaterBrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books Program for sending me a copy of this book to review, but my opinions are my own.

1 comment:

Noah Arsenault said...

Hello! I like your review! Overstreet's books are favorites of mine!

BTW, I rated your review on the publisher website, and I was wondering if you could rate mine? http://noahsreads.blogspot.com/2011/05/crisis-i-need-your-help.html