Monday, April 11, 2011

Booking It: April Edition


Although only one of the books I read in March was on my reading list for the year, I did enjoy them (well, most of them). Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to my list soon.
  • When my father recommended Hidden in Plain Sight by M.G. Selbrede, I was a little skeptical because we don't usually enjoy the same books. This one was a winner, though. The story takes place in 2025, but it's a United States that we would recognize. Dr. Jenna Wilkes has discovered a new law, one that underwrites all the natural and physical laws that we already know (e.g. Newton's Laws of Thermodynamics). She is determined to bring the truth to light despite the myriads of people who refuse to believe in her work. While this book does get bogged down a little with physics (which went way over my head), it was a fun read once I learned not to try to understand the science. The law that Jenna discovers proves that there is something (or Someone) behind everything that holds everything together. Her mentor is a Christian, and through his gentle teaching and behavior, Jenna herself comes to know Christ as her Savior. I look forward to reading the next book in this trilogy.
  • One of my friends recommended The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson a while ago, and I finally got around to reading it this year. This book is jam packed with all kinds of good ideas of how to raise your children for the Lord. Since raising our children is the most important job that we have, it's important that we have a vision for it, not just "riding by the seat of our pants" or "playing it by ear." I really enjoyed this book, and I hope to implement some of the ideas. One problem that I have with it, however, is that husbands and fathers are rarely mentioned, and they are essential components to raising children, too. Since the book was written for mothers, though, I understand why fathers are left out.
  • Since Jessica at Life as Mom enjoys A.S. Stephenson, I thought I would try one of his books The Fiddler's Gun. This book was a fun read, although it wasn't quite believable in places (but isn't that what makes these kinds of books fun?). Phinea, aka Fin, Button was dropped off in an orphanage as a newborn, and she was raised there by the sisters who run it. Once she becomes an adult and starts to think about a life of her own, she has a series of misfortunes, including murder, that make her a fugitive on the run from the British. After she joins the crew of the Rattlesnake, the American colonies declare their independence from Great Britain, and the crew of the Rattlesnake become entangled in the war. Meanwhile, back home in Georgia, Fin's finance is waiting for her, and one cannot help but wonder if Fin will be able to give up the seafaring life for Peter, or if he will move on in her absence.
  • I also reviewed The Final Summit by Andy Andrews, and you can read my full review here.
Currently, I am reading Galileo by Mitch Stokes and Facts and Falsehoods Concerning the War on the South by George Edmunds.

What are you reading these days? For more reviews, head over to Life as Mom: Booking It.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Just dropped by from Life As Mom. Enjoyed your book reviews and will add a few titles to my reading list.

Krissa said...

Hi...I'm also dropping by from Life As Mom...I've heard a lot of good things about The Mission of Motherhood...I will have to add it to my list! Come by http://www.morethanmundane.com to read my review of A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller...and I'm giving away a copy too!

Samantha said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting. I count all of my reading as "books read" - including the ones I read for read-alouds during our school day. So, that boosts my numbers! My two older children are very involved in USA swimming so I tend to have lots of down time at swim meets to read as well. I always read at least a few pages each night before I go to bed. I have the Mission of Motherhood but haven't read it yet. It sounds like you enjoyed it.

Samantha

Tracey said...

Wow - you've got a good number of books read in March! The Mission of Motherhood sounds like a book I might need to put on my list.

Beth Stone said...

Hi Nikki - you're doing well on your list! I didn't get as much time in for reading this past month as I'd hoped to, but this month should be a little more quiet and hopefully productive in that area. Your selections for the month sound interesting - especially the first book you mentioned. I may have to try that one in the future. Thanks for the reviews and also for stopping by my blog earlier!