Monday, April 11, 2011

Book Review: The Final Summit by Andy Andrews


Before I begin with my review, let me say that I didn't read the previous book in this series The Traveler's Gift, so I've had to infer some information about it from this book. Apparently, Travelers are people who have achieved greatness in their lives by being taken back in time by the angel Gabriel and learning lessons from previous Travelers.

In the Final Summit by Andy Andrews, David Ponder, who became a Traveler in the first book, is taken to a gathering of all the Travelers in order to discover the answer to a question. The purpose of this question, posed by the angel Gabriel, is to decide whether humanity should have a future or whether God should start all over again (as He did at the flood). The question is, "What does humanity need to do, individually and collectively, to restore itself to the pathway toward successful civilization?" Of course, the Travelers take all the time they are allotted before they find the correct answer which is (spoiler alert) "do something."

I have so many problems with this book that I don't know where to start, so I think I'll start with the biggest one: God giving the fate of mankind into his own hands. Do you remember what happened in the garden of Eden, the first time, the only time, that God has put our own fate into our hands? We, through the actions of Adam and Eve, rejected God, disobeyed Him, and should have been put to death immediately. Thank God for His mercy! Thank God that He provided a way for us to be redeemed, but that redemption only comes through the action of His Son. This is my main problem with this book.

Another of my problems is that Gabriel sins; he shows displeasure, impatience, and arrogance with the humans. Some of the history is faulty. God is not treated with the respect He deserves. Jesus is only referred to once. And what kind of vague answer is "do something"?

I understand that the premise of this book is to help people become better people, but I think it misses the mark by a long shot. Christians won't like this book for the reasons I have listed, and non-Christians need more than simple platitudes; they need Christ.

I want to thank BookSneeze for letting me review a copy of this book, but my opinions are (obviously) my own.

2 comments:

Charity said...

I've never read any of Andy Andrew's books, guess they never really grabbed my attention. Thanks for the review! :)

Nikki said...

Chari, I think he tries to pull together history and ways to live better which is a admirable thing. He just didn't succeed very well with this book.