Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Book Review: Breath of Angel by Karyn Henley

When I received my copy of Breath of Angel by Karyn Henley, I wasn't sure what to expect because the story has angels in it. Would it be sacrilegious, making light of angels, or would it be allegorical? It turned out to be neither; it's just a story with angels in it. Melaia is being raised as the next High Priestess when a series of events turns her life upside down. Against her will, she is thrust into the battle between good angels and bad angels (malevolents) who have lost their pathway to the heavens where they belong, and she is unsure of whom to trust. People and angels are not always as they appear. As the story progresses, Melaia discovers that she may be the key to restoring all of the angels to the heavens. At first, she does not know what to do with this information, and then she decides to embrace her destiny.

I almost hate to admit it, but I enjoyed this book. While I don't think that angels should be worshipped and deified, I also don't think that they should be taken lightly. The story is well-written and fun to read; I'm just not sure how appropriate it is to write such a story about angels.

I want to thank WaterBrook Multnomah for my (advance!) copy of this book to review, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: