Thursday, March 17, 2011

What to do with Idle Hands?

I've got a little problem I thought I would ask your opinion about: Daniel's idle hands, specifically at the dinner table. Oftentimes, Daniel finishes eating before John and I do, so we make him sit there until one of us finishes and can wipe his hands off, etc. During that five minutes (or less), he cannot keep from playing with things: his cup (the last few drops fall on the floor), his plate (the crumbs fall on the floor), and/or his fork. If we tell him not to play with those things, then he reaches over and grabs me...which I don't want him to do because his hands are dirty since he uses them to eat.

Do you have any suggestions? I understand that he is a little boy and definitely his father's son, so I don't want to try to change that. But if you have this "problem," too, and have come up with a solution, I would appreciate hearing it. What can I do to occupy those little hands?

5 comments:

Marva said...

We always brought a damp wash cloth to the table with us and washed the boys up when they were finished. They were then dismissed from the table and allowed to play quietly. This gave the hubby and I an extra few minutes to chat about our day. Just a thought.........

Blessings!

Mindy said...

We have the opposite issue at our house. We're usually done first and begging him to finish! (...and I'm a very slow eater!) I think our kiddo is just really social, so eating is a priority behind chatting with us. Marva's idea sounded helpful.

Nikki said...

Marva, I hadn't thought about bringing the wash cloth to the table. That might work; then John or I wouldn't have to get up to wipe his hands.

Mindy, sometimes, we have the same problem, but it's usually at breakfast, and I just get up and start doing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen.

Laura said...

I was going to suggest bringing a wash cloth to the table like Marva did. We kind of see it as a self control issue at our house though. They're expected to sit patiently when they're done eating and if they don't then it turns into a discipline issue. That may seem harsh, but they learn quickly, and even Noah knows what is expected of him and doesn't mind it in the least bit.

Nikki said...

Laura, that's really what I was thinking. It certainly won't hurt Daniel to learn to sit there for two or three minutes while we finish, will it?