Monday, March 7, 2011

What Kind of Little Old Lady Will You Be?

I had an interesting conversation with my mother the other day. We have discussed this topic before -- how you seem to become more yourself as you get older. It's almost like you lose some of your inhibitions. Let me see if I can explain this better. You know how sweet little old ladies just seem to get sweeter as they age? Or how crochety old ladies just get, well, more crochety? That's the kind of thing I mean.

While there are all sorts of reasons to be kind and considerate of others (like pleasing my Savior), here is one more: I want to be a sweet little old lady. Since I won't be able to change who I am once I get old (when do you "get old" anyway?), I need to practice now. You don't just decide one day that you're going to be a sweet little old lady; apparently, it takes years of practice. It's time to start!

Have you given this idea thought before? Have you noticed this feature about old people? Do you think my mother and I are on to something, or do you think we're nuts? What really do you think?

2 comments:

Brandi said...

You make perfect sense! I really hadn't thought about that before. Thank you!

Nikki said...

Brandi, you're welcome! I've seen it several times in older ladies, but I can't say any more than that without, well, saying too much.