Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday's Tip: Getting Your Prescription Filled

As I thought about this week's tip, I figured I would write about something I know a little bit about. For those of you who don't know (because I don't write about it very often), I work one weekend a month as a pharmacist. The remaining days, I stay at home and take care of my children and husband and home. I worked this past weekend which is why I'm even thinking about it now.

I have written about this subject before, but it has been quite awhile, and I think (hope!) I have some new readers, so it should be worth revisiting.

How to make your visit to the pharmacy as painless as possible:
  • don't go on Monday. For some reason, it's always busier on Monday.
  • don't go on the first. For insurance reasons, it's always busiest on the first.
  • stay away if the first falls on a Monday. I wish you luck if you absolutely need a prescription filled on these days.
  • if it's a refill, call it in ahead of time. Even better, use the automated refill line. (We love it when people use this.)
  • visit the pharmacy first. Just in case, there is a problem with your prescription, you don't want to have to wait for it while your ice cream melts. It's much better to shop while you wait.
Things pharmacy staff would like for you to know:
  • if you have insurance, it sets the prices. Please don't yell at us; we have nothing to do with how much your medicine costs.
  • ditto with prior authorization. We know how frustrating it is; we really do.
  • if the pharmacy closes for lunch at 1:30, please don't show up at 1:31 expecting your prescription. We only get half an hour for lunch, and we need it.
It's a stressful job that we have, making sure that the correct person gets the correct medication at the correct dose with the correct instructions, but we try to remember that our patients are people while doing it. We try to be friendly, too.

What do you think we should be aware of?

3 comments:

Laura said...

Great tips! I did not know some of those things, and I will be sure to avoid Mondays and the first of the month now.

Tracey said...

Thanks for sharing these tips! I didn't realize that Mondays and the first of the month were such busy days.

You'll love me though - I typically use the automated refill line at my pharmacy! :)

Nikki said...

Laura, I'm glad that you learned something.

Tracey, oh, yes, we love people like you!